Driving fatigue

I got diagnosed last week. And I work as a truck driver, does anyone else suffer with fatigue when they are driving? Because I’m experiencing it really bad and I’m gonna end up quitting my job soon. Problem is I start driving and after just only 10mins I am completely wiped out , sluggish and exhausted. Is this normal for ms??

In a word ‘no’ certainly not for me. I really don’t suffer from MS fatigue at all. That said everyone’s MS journey and experiences are different. Fatigue has never been an issue for me, but night time driving glare is, ever since 2 bouts of ON.
Perhaps some meds, or lifestyle mods may help. Speak to your MS Nurse or GP. Fatigue is relatively common so I’m sure other members will comment soon. Good luck.

I don’t drive so no, not me. But - I’ve had MS for some 18 years and for the last few years I’ve found noisy busy places a bit tiring and similarly when using a mobility scooter in busy parts of the town with lots of pedestrians and traffic moving around me.

Hi rickyantwhite, Yes I suffer terrible with fatigue and no longer drive, I have a lot of symptoms, mind I do have progressive MS, diagnosed 17yrs now, I wouldn’t trust myself to drive. I know there are meds for fatigue, they just didn’t work for me, but maybe worth a try for you, anyway good luck.
Jean

1 Like

Do you also get problems with your eyes? My eyes are always tired and sometimes they sting a lot.

Hi rickyantwhite, I do get tired eyes and they do sting, now I wear glasses and my optician recommended eye drops, which do help a bit. My fatigue is really bad, I need to sleep every day around lunchtime, normally about an hour, but sometimes more, I cope with chronic pain, numbness, I’m in an electric wheelchair, but it’s the fatigue that really gets to me, as it stops me doing so much.

Jean

1 Like

Hi ricky i have the same problem fatigue all the time i had transverse miyalitis down my right side cant even feel the pedals .as i have weekness in arm and leg plus the fatigue . I decided to stop driving before my dx of ms. as it was dangerous im wating on the dvla to tell me if i can keep my license. I new it was not safe to drive . Have a word with your neurologist or gp maby thy can help you buddy . Rich

I’m sorry to hear that buddy :frowning: the fatigue is killing me. My blood pressure also seems to be quite low which I’m starting to think is ms related to, as I get dizzy when I stand up.

1 Like

Hi Jean thanks for replying

The eye hospital told me I had dry eye and also said the demyelination could cause the eyes to sting, I also have eye drops and like u said they do help a little bit, sometimes I feel like pulling my eye balls out. Always always tired , I just hope things get better. I start my medication in 3 weeks so I hope it’s gonna help

1 Like

Tbh fatigue is a killer wipes me out all the time . One of the most common symtoms of ms . And one of the most debilitating for people with it .

1 Like

It really is hard rich, I’m just getting really upset because I love my job , it’s good money and it’s so so easy, just drive up to Birmingham and then drive back to Bristol, BUT honestly 10mins of driving, and I’m absolutely wiped out, and it’s upsetting me so much, I just can’t fight it. :pensive::pensive::pensive: and I don’t just wanna sit at home all day because that won’t help me either. Not sure what to do

Physical therapy might help. i have nuro therpist. but it seems fatigue sucks .most of the time for those who are affected .

My husband has MS and on his last day at work he didn’t know how he was going to be able to drive home. He did make it (on the M25) and although he continued to drive occasionally for some years he was forced to stop driving because of fatigue and problems with his vision. I would say that you are not alone and fatigue can be a major problem.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that . I also have problems with my vision, it doesn’t get in the way to much at the moment but I’m worried it will get to that stage at some point. How is your husband now? And what kind of ms does he have ? They’ve diagnosed me with RRMS. And I’m starting kesimpta soon. I’m hoping this treatment will help

1 Like