Corona Virus thoughts?

It’s finally starting to hit the US outside of major cities. Our governor shut down all nonessential businesses the other day and requested we limit our travel. The local schools are closed for 2 weeks, and the State stores (hard alcohol) have closed indefinitely. Grocery store shelves are empty. My son went out last night to get his normal foods, and there was no meat of any kind (not fresh, frozen, canned, or even hot dogs), no eggs or potatoes, no pasta or beans, and very little canned goods of any kind. And this was at a major chain store!

I’m in a rural area but on a busy road that’s a shortcut. I haven’t heard a single car all morning. I’ve finally managed to convince my mother (77) to stay close to home. She still goes out for her lunch every day at the local diner, but it’s only doing take-out now. We were planning some family functions in the coming weeks but have cancelled them because my daughter lives in one of the hotspot cities in a neighboring county.

Hi Everyone

Pam I’m so sorry to hear about your husband and can’t imagine how difficult it must be being unable to go and see him. Good luck to both of you.

I decided early on that I wasn’t going to let this virus affect my normal life but with them going as far as to close schools, universities etc and cancel their exams I’m forced to rethink my life. My daughter is 22 and although grown up, she has pleaded with me to take it serious as she wants me to be there when she marries and has children. She came to see me on Monday as I was too have surgery on Tuesday but it was postponed until further notice. She works on a petting farm and has been asked to move in and help with the animals etc as they’ve decided to go into lockdown. We head a long talk and she was quite brutal.

I know my earlier post said I wasn’t concerned, and I wasn’t at the time, but I now take it back. Sorry if I seemed like I didn’t care. I have always had sympathy for those with the illness, that doesn’t change. My ms seems to protect me from colds etc, I haven’t had a virus of any kind affect me much over a number of years, and that had a lot to do with my decision, but I also have Coeliac Disease which makes me more prone to chest infections and pneumonia so I’ve decided to stay at home and get my jobs done.

Take care everyone

Cath

It sounds about the same as here in London. Empty shelves etc. Schools close tomorrow. I’m in lockdown as I live in sheltered (senior) housing but looking out the window onto a usually busy road, it looks like that week between Christmas and New Year. My sister and I always jokingly call it ‘dead week’. Maybe not so funny given the circumstances. Take care NorasMom. Be safe. xxx

Hi Cath, I too thought it seemed a lot of fuss and first but obviously it’s very serious, especially considering the Italian death toll. Best to stay indoors and keep hand washing. It’s really weird isn’t it. How the whole world has changed so quickly. I do hope it will be a wake-up call that we have to change the way we live if we and the planet are to survive.

Be safe Cath and take care. I rarely pick up anything too… MS does protect us to an extent… but I’m not risking this one. I’m staying home!

Pat x

1 Like