1000 calories and more!

Having read Steve’s account of his wonderful gourmet beef meal, and contemplating my sorrowful bowl of Cornflakes that sufficed as dinner this evening. (I’m on a bit of a downer today for no good reason, so I just didn’t fancy eating properly) Lead to me thinking of what sort of extra Christmas goodies/baddies/luxuries we might have in the store cupboard “for Christmas”. How much of it ever makes it until then?! How much of it gets gorged on long before ? What has been scoffed by you already and will need to be replaced? What do you dare not get in just yet because…? Hands up, you sinners!

My two packs of Tesco Finest mince pies, eight in a box, were gone within a week. Feeling only a little remorseful, I then decided, “oh well. I’ve just ruined it now” and promtly opened the shortbread today. I will leave the shopping until a little nearer the date I think.

Hi Poppy, well so far eaten two boxes of mints, tin of nuts, tin of shortbread & have started the Baileys ( lovely in coffee in place of milk). So its def a waste of time buying things early for me. So what the hell I don’t feel guilty at all but, because its not doing my waist band any good (if I could find a waist), I will leave the shopping until nearer the date too. Cheer yourself up, don’t be on a downer tomorrow’s another day, better day for you I hope!!!

Hello Poppy.

You can always combine corn flakes, rolled oats and syrup for a flap jack type thing. When I’m on a downer I get out the bacon. The mince pies I made on Wednesday were demolished by my daughter. So it’s a case of re-ordering. i think I made enough mincemeat.

Cheers x

1 Like

i’ve had applewood smoked cheese, some sweet chilli pumpkin and sesame seed flatbreads from M & S and posh relishes from an artisan shop.

i had that for my main meal today and now i’m eating chunks of cheese and dark chocolate with sea salt in it.

dunno if it is nutritious but its so delicious.

tis the season to eat what you want!

1 Like

Become gluten free then the cupboard is bare lol…

I am lucky i dont snack. I am not buying stuff much anyway. Boring i know lol. I have 2 packets of maltesers stilll in the cupboard from Easter lol.

Anyway eat what you fancy why not its good for you . x

omg crazychick,i so admire you not snacking and how on earth CAN you leave chocolate in the house so long.i snack like crazy as i have a sweet tooth which i so need to curb lol i am overweight cos of my snacking,i dont eat a lot its just the snacking that piles the lbs on.

J x

How on earth do you manage to keep two packets of maltesers in the cupboard for more than 6 months is beyond me. You just be a Crazy Chick!! Oh!

Sue

I’m not allowed to make flapjacks anymore. They’re far too nice. And far too fattening. Syrup, sugar, butter… And I tried the argument (with myself) that they also have oats and a load of fruit in them, but it’s no good. Banned. By myself.

Sue

1 Like

You know, in M&S they keep on selling chocolate truffles half price. Because I was going to a hospital next door to M&S weekly for some treatment, we managed to polish off about 5 of these boxes over 5 weeks.

But hurrah, the Quality Street season has not yet begun in this house. I’m hoping it doesn’t start until at least the week before Xmas. There is one sneaky tub that arrived with the shopping a few days ago. But so far it remains unopened.

Sue

1 Like

Today I am eating 2 portions of chocolate yule log that my granddaughter made. I`ve been dieting for 9 weeks now and done so well…just hope this naughty but nice thing, doesnt open my flood gates!!!

pollx

LOL I know i just dont get hungry i suppose. Then suddenly i will have to eat a packet. I know weird.

I have never been a snacker ever. I have no idea why i am like that lol. I drink a glass of water before i eat something. I like food i enjoy but what i eat perhaps fills me so i dont crave. I have kept the same weight for years even without exercise or walking much. I think it comes from my mum (she was italian), we were only ever given food at meals never given snacks in between perhaps its just a habit.

1 Like

LOL should we place a bet on the date it gets open…

Better not. I can’t be trusted.

S x

So far I have not been too bad but have gone through 3 boxes of stollen bites. I buy the bite size portions because I kid myself that they are better for me than the full size stollen.

Oh! I have also eaten a box of fudge that was a Christmas present for someone and had to be replaced. On the plus side the box of roses I bought is still intact…watch this space!!!

The diet starts January, honest.

Mags xx

1 Like

We bought a box of chocolate biscuits from M&S because they were on offer at half price. They’ve been put away in a cupboard and won’t be touched until Christmas Day. We’ve bought two packs of mince pies, which have also been put away . They may come out on Christmas Eve. The only thing that was bought for Christmas but didn’t make it was a vanilla and chocolate cheesecake we intended to have for dessert after Christmas dinner. (We don’t do Christmas pudding.) We enjoyed it so much that we bought a replacement. We enjoyed that one, too. We’re determined to keep that one. It’s in the freezer and it’s staying there until Christmas Day!

Yes I know I didn’t have to read these posts but you’re making me very peckish.

The bacon is still in its packet. I’ve been dieting for at least eighteen months and have lost well over two stone. I’m writing this as a way of reminding myself. Yesterday, I had a portion of beef rendang which had been festering away in the slow cooker (recipe on my blog site!). I also made seeded naan breads and told myself they were small.

Sometimes I suffer when I skip carbohydrates so I had toast as well for breakfast.

I haven’t had a chocolate since June 2015.

Tis the season to be tempted. Get thee behind me mince pies and plum compote.

Best wishes. x

Me peckish too. I have some gluten free puff pastry in the freezer and planning to make some mince pies with it. Hmm mince pies and custard.

Oh guys,it’s made me smile big-time reading these!I:-):-):slight_smile:

I’ve just come in from the ms Xmas party. First time attending for me and hubby.IFour course meal, endless raffel prizes,and a wonderful band. I’m totally stuffed and feeling much happier. More like myself.I will NOT look in cupboards nor will I listen to xmas food shouting at me. “Eat me,eat me!”.

Well, not tonight anyway. :slight_smile:

Last year I treated myself to some chocolate covered coffee beans. I bought them in late December and the best before date was end of November 2016. I set myself a challenge to see how close I could get to that date before I ate them. I started to eat them in late October and finished them earlier this month. They were delicious!